Wednesday 20 March 2013

Scones - A Disaster and a Triumph

I have been making scone over the last few days.  Two batches.  The first was Baileys and Choc Chip Scones, the recipe is by Ruth Clemens aka The Pink Whisk and can be found here.  If you like Baileys, (or any Irish Cream Liqueur) I would highly recommend them - and have them topped with thick cream, I used extra thick double cream.  I tried using chocolate spread, as recommended in the recipe, but I found this over powered the Baileys.  These are a decadent Afternoon Treat - you can be very naughty in public and no-one will be none the wiser!
007
The same cannot be said for my second lot of scones - Mary Berry's Raspberry scones.  Disaster.  I put the scones in the oven for 12 out of the 15 minutes, giving me food that is nearly fit for the gods (burnt to you and me).  With my usual scone recipe I bake them for 9 - 10 minutes.  Then there is the 4 tsp of baking powder.  I could actually taste this in the finished scone.  Then the raspberry juice reacted with I don't know what to give a very dark blue/purple colour even before it was baked.  I have heard of this, in a very hazy part of my head, but I'm damned if I can remember what causes it.

I do not have the heart to try this recipe again, unless I modify it (remove all that baking powder for starters).  The idea really appealed to me - the scone dough is cut in half and rolled seperately then the  raspberries are put on top of one half and the other dough is laid on top, in effect sandwiching the raspberries. Hey Ho!  Can't get it right every time!
012

No comments: