Thursday 23 October 2008

The Knitting Parlour, Great Malvern

Yesterday I went to Great Malvern with two knitty friends, primarily to visit The Knitting Parlour. I'd recommend a trip here, and am looking forward to going again, spending more time and actually looking round Great Malvern a bit more!

The walk up from the station, was beautiful. The trees were well in to their autumn colour changes and so many leaves on the pavement, made me want to run in them! The smell of the leaves and the clean air was pleaseant and refreshing. The houses and the archetecturial features made you want to stop, stare and admire!

The Knitting Parlour was easy to find (Great Malvern isn't big). We decided to contain our mounting excitement and go for Morning Coffee first. One pot of Earl Grey and a Cinnamon Swirl later, we headed off to The Knitting Parlour.

We spent over two hours in the shop. Lots and lots of oohs and aahs! The shop stocks a wide variety of yarn, and suits most pockets. Colinette, Noro, Rowan, locally dyed yarns, Seacell, german sock yarns, plus Sirdar and a range of baby yarns. Lots of patterns and lots of books. Plus cloth kits - I was sooo tempted, and gorgeous fabric and patterns cloth clothes (as opposed to knitting patterns. And accessories. Buttons, needles, including Lantern Moon, Pony/Prym, and some delightful ones from ?Austrailia with round coloured spotty ends.

After much deliberation, I settled with a Superba Sock yarn - candy pinks, had my name all over it, two balls of Colinette Point 5 Venezia (the colour of which I've re-named Goth Rainbow) and a ball of black Rowan Big Wool, a skein of Artists Palette Yarn - Pop Sox, in purples and sage greens, and jute bag with the shops name on. I was tempted to more, including the new Amy Butler book, Colinette's Toast and Marmalade and a book on Shibori felting. All for next time!

The shop was busy and Vicki (the shop lady), very helpful! So a massive needles up to The Knitting Parlour - highly recommended!

A mention must be given to Lady Foley's Tea Room, on the station. Arriving back at the Railway Station - an old station, everything that appeals to yesteryear romanticsm - we had enough time to have a quick cuppa. We stepped into Lady Foley's Tea Room. It was as if we'd stepped back in time! The ceiling was high, with painted coving, the walls decorated in a pseudo-William Morris paper, an open fire place (which wasn't lit) at the one end. Stunning. I was so expecting a steam train to come chugging into the station. This has happened before, one Sunday in Keighley, many many moons ago.

4 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

Sounds like an inspiring trip! Looking forward to seeing the knits!

CarpeDyem said...

It was a lovely trip, took some pix of the station (to follow!) Am planning to go again at some point. A day on the train to visit a yarn shop with knitty friends is highly recommended!

cinnamongirl93 said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all. I would love to see pictures of your new yarns. I have never seen Superba Sock yarn. Candy pinks would be my favorite too!
I wish I was there at the historical train station having tea! Sounds so wonderful!

CarpeDyem said...

I did take a couple of pictures, which I shall post soon! Nest time I'm there I shall have to take Afternoon tea!