Saturday 16 March 2013

My First Key Lime Pie

I have been hankering after making a Key Lime Pie for a few weeks now.   I would definitely make it again, though more now and then than frequently.  HK made the suggestion that next time I try it with orange instead of lime and ginger nuts instead of digestives.  I think my next hankering is Baileys and chocolate chip scones, courtesy of The Pink Whisk.
001

My Key Lime Pie
  • 175g digestive biscuits
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 85g butter, melted
Filling
  • 14fl oz can condensed milk
  • 125ml lime juice
  • finely grated rind of 3 limes
  • 4 large egg yolks
  1. Preheat the oven to 160c/gm3/325f.  Lightly grease a 9" pie dish
  2. To make the crumb crust - put biscuits, cinnamon and sugar into a processer and blitz till fine crumbs, not powder.  Add the melted butter and mix together
  3. Tip the crumb mix into the pie dish and press over base and sides.  Bake in oven for 5 minutes
  4. Beat the condensed milk, lime juice lime rind and egg yolks together in a bowl until well blended
  5. Pour the filling into the crumb base and bake in oven for 15 minutes until set around the edges and wobbly in the middle.  Remove from oven, allow to cool, then cover and chill in fridge for at least 2 hours
Notes
  • I might use a few more biscuits next time for a slightly thicker base
  • I use a fan oven so one or two minutes less baking won't go amiss
  • The egg whites can be frozen and used another time, so they don't go to waste
  • I am aware that there are lots of variations for this recipe - try them all out!

2 comments:

Luneray said...

Um, I feel compelled to let HK know that you can't really call it Key Lime Pie if you are going to use oranges instead... :) But that does sound tasty, especially with the ginger crust.

Did you find Key Limes in the UK? They are a specialty item in my part of the US, although it's possible to find bottled Key Lime juice. They do have a noticeably different flavor than the "regular" limes sold here, and are used almost exclusively for baked goods and other confections.

CarpeDyem said...

I'll ask HK to think of a new name for the pie! Strictly speaking this can't be called a Key Lime Pie, perhaps Limey Pie! I don't think we can get proper key limes here, I believe the ones I used were maybe Spanish. It was a rather tasty pie and will be made again fairly soon, no doubt!