Sunday 12 August 2012

Mini-Maxi Events In The Kitchen inc Jack Daniels Cupcakes

In my attempts to keep me on the go this afternoon, I decided to bake a batch of scones.  I had bought a bag of dried raisin and apricots some days ago, and thgought this would go well in scones.  I had only got my pinny on when Mary-Jane was hanging on the gate, in our front room, starting to grizzle to be in the kitchen with Mommy.  I asked her if she would like to Help Mommy Bake Scones - Oh Yes Please!  (a standard answer at the moment - which I'm not knocking!).  I knew her interest wouldn't take her to getting the scones in the oven and she would be tempted to go running off to find Granma and Grandad.  Today was The Day when Mary-Jane would take her first steps of Learning To Bake With Mommy.

I put her pinny on (which she was delighted with) and sat her at the chair.  I explained to her what we were going to do.  The first thing (after hand washing) was to weigh the ingredients.  We have digital scales, so I asked Mary-Jane to tell me what the numbers were and to tell me when they got to what ever number we needed.  She managed this, with prompting.  She knows her numbers, up to early teens.  I then made the mistake of putting the Kenwood (food mixer) on.  She became so frightened, upset and crying.  It was pick up loves from Mommy, then Daddy, take her pinny off, then distract her with a walk to see the cows.  Poor little mite.

I finished the scones off and baked them.  Once cooled, we sat to have scones and jam - home made starry plum jam made by Di.  Very Sociable.  I am so proud that Mary-Jane has arrived at her first milestone of starting to bake.  And she does enjoy a scone - like Momma!
013
Yesterday I baked a batch of cupcakes.  It seems an eternity since I did some.  I found a recipe for Jack Daniels Cupcakes.  My goodness - they come highly recommended!  The sponge is moist, but not overly moist and the topping is dyed black and laced with Jack Daniels Whiskey.
017
The tops needed just a little something to finish them off.  HK and I thought maybe something Halloweenie.  I didn't have anything like that to hand, so used blue glitter sprinkles.
019

Jack Daniel's Cupcakes

Makes around 14-24 depending on the size of your cupcake cases

200g/7oz plain flour
250g/8.5oz golden caster sugar
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1 large egg
100ml/3.5 fl oz milk
30g/1oz yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
110g/4oz unsalted butter
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp coca cola

For the icing
110g/4oz icing sugar
1 tbsp coca cola
3 tbsp Jack Daniels
1/2 tsp black food colouring paste
100g/3.5oz dark chocolate
  • Preheat oven to 170c/325f/gm3.  Line two muffin tins with cupcake cases.
  • Mix the flour, sugar and bicarb soda.
  • In another bowl, stir the egg with the milk, yoghurt and vanilla
  • Gently melt the butter, cocoa and coca-cola.  Stir all the ingredients until all are blended then pour into the sugar and flour.  Mix with a wooden spoon, then stir in the egg mixture.
  • Pour into cupcake cases until 2/3 full
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm and springy to the touch.  Cool on a wire rack
  • For the icing - sift the icing sugar, add the coca-cola, Jack Daniels and food colouring and mix.
  • Melt the chocolate and stir into the icing.
  • Work quickly, spread the icing over the cakes with a spatula.  Add topping decorations if you wish

No comments: