Monday 6 February 2012

Fruit Crumble Square

When I went to M's last week, she made a delicious Crumble Square.  I asked her for the recipe.  I made it.  It tastes good.  My version here had much more fruit than the given recipe, so most of the crumble topping got absorbed by the fruit.  However it tasted delicious and lasted less than 48 hours!


Fruit Crumble Square

Ingredients
Sponge
115 g butter
175g caster sugar
1 egg
280g self raising flour
125ml milk
200g fresh blackcurrants/raspberries - I used frozen berries

Crumble
115g cater sugar
85g plain flour
1 lemon zest (i didn't use it, I didn't have any lemons in)
50g butter

Preheat oven to 180c or equivalent
Grease and line a 28 x 18cm tin, or 23cm square or 25cm round

Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
Whisk in the egg
Carefully fold in the flour and milk
Spoon into tin
Sprinkle fruit on top

Crumble
Mix together sugar, flour and lemon zest
Rub in the butter until mixture is crumbly
Sprinkle on top of square

Bake for approx 45 minutes or until the topping is golden
Leave to cool in tin

PS, as I said, I used more fruit in the picture above - 500g.  On top of the fruit I added some light brown sugar and some mixed spice.  I'd like to try it using raspberries and substituting some ground almond for some flour

No comments: