Monday 18 February 2013

Lemon Curd

There are many recipes for Lemon Curd.  Most are very similar.  I have previously tried Microwave Lemon Curd, with not as much success as I would have liked.  Last week we picked up some lemons that were on offer, with the intention of me having another crack at lemon curd.  I am more than chuffed to say that this time I have it sussed!  I have success.  I made two batches of the stuff.  I am toying with the idea of making some bread tomorrow as LC on doorstep chunks of homemade bread toasted is out of this world.  I'll see how the morning goes.  Tuesday morning is Play Group, so I may have to have my wits about me and put the bread maker on before I go out.  Busy Busy Busy!

My Lemon Curd
  • 4 free range eggs
  • 4 free range egg yolks
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 6 lemons - zest of 3 and the juice of 6
  • 150g unsalted butter, in small cubes
  1. Sterilise the clean jam jars, in a preheated oven at 140c/gm1, for about 30 minutes
  2. Whisk the egg and egg yolks in a large heat proof bowl until combined.  Add the sugar, stir in the lemon juice and zest.  Add the butter.  Set the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water.  Make sure the bowl does not touch the water
  3. Stir the mix with a wooden spoon until the butter is melted, about five minutes.  The use a whisk to continuously stir the mix for about 10-12 minutes.  The curd should be the consistency of custard and leave a light trail when the whisk is lifted.  The curd will continue to thicken in the jarss
  4. Pour the curd into the warm sterile jars and leave to cool.  Cover the curd with a disk of waxed paper or parchment and seal with a lid.  Keep in the fridge and use within two weeks
With the left over egg whites, I bagged them up, four in each bag, and froze them, to use at a later time.  I think I will either use them for meringues or a meringue topping.  Adapt the recipe and make it your own!

No comments: