Wednesday 27 May 2009

Increases in the cost of gas and electricity

I'm sure you are aware of the increases in the price of fuel over the last six months or so. But added to this, to me is the greed of the fat cat corporations who are the fuel suppliers. I will recant a conversation I had yesterday with my fuel supplier.

It started with getting an updated statement in the post. I pay monthly by card for my fuel (gas and electricity). I've done this for a good few months, prior to this I paid by Direct Debit. My monthly payments have been recalculated. The payment has increased by 42% from last month. Yes I was stunned. So I rang them up to query this.

Me: Why has my monthly charge gone up so much?

Them: It's been a cold winter madam, one of the coldest for years. You've probably had the heating on for longer.

Me: I've not. My gas consumption is about the same as last year.

Them: Its been a cold winter, even if you turn up your heating a degree it will make a difference to the cost.

Me: I've done nothing different from last year. So why is there such a huge increase? I'm stunned

Them: I'll look at your usage....... This quarter last year you used 8 units of gas a day...... This year for this quarter you've used 8 units of gas per day. Oh.

Me: Yes, so why is there such a huge difference, if I'm using the same amount of fuel?

Them: The cost of gas and electricity has increased over the winter. Plus you have gone from monthly direct debit to monthly payments, that will make a difference.

Me: And that makes a difference of aprice increase of 100% in a year? I'm paying twice as much for the same amount as last year.

Them: You can pay by direct debit, that will bring the price down.

Me: Okay, I'll pay by direct debit

Them: You need to clear what you owe {which is equivalent to 2 months of the new increased price} before you will be accepted for Direct Debit

Me: I can't afford that! I can't afford the monthly payment!

Them: Direct debit will be cheaper madam. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Me: I'm still stunned at this increase. I can't afford this.

Them: Is there anything else madam? Thank you very much for your call.



So the moral of the story?? The fat cats get fatter. In one year, the same gas consumption costs twice as much. The answer? I haven't a clue apart from the cost of living is now getting too high. The increase is purely to line to pockets of the fat cats. One seventh of my monthly wage is going on gas and electricity. Half of that is for what? To be able to use the same amount of fuel that I used last year but for twice as much.

No comments: