Wednesday 20 May 2009

Frogs 1 - Double YO's 0

I started another cloth last night. It was a lacy picture type. The pattern is by the same person who wrote the most challenging cloth I've ever done. If it isn't by her then, well, then lets just say they must be from the same stable!

I saw the pattern on Ravelry. It really caught my eye. I printed it off, found suitable Peaches N Creme colourway. Before I cast on, I read the pages of pattern over. I wanted to get the D4's and S2TK1P's all straight in my head before I started. It is noteworthy at this point to mention that I've never done Double Yarn Overs. Single yarn overs yes, and lots of them.

So happily I cast on, thinking that I'm up for the challenge and this may put to rest the ghosts of the Lacy Heart Cloth. Off I went.

My those double yarn overs were very loose. The stitches round were being effected and looked like I'd done them on way too large needles. But I persevered thinking that all would be well after I'd done some more.

But as the rows passed the sinking feeling that all was not right, sunk some more. And I carried on. I carried on to row 24. Then I thought, 'this just ain't right, I'm not happy!'. ~~!##£%!

I looked at the pattern again. From the start. Then at the end of the notes and just before the actual instructions started, was the light. The crucial bit of information that I'd missed. Sat below it was the statement telling me to read all the notes before I cast on.

"On wrong side rows, you will be doing (k1,p1) into the double yarn overs from the previous right side rows."

Epiphany.

(k1,p1) not (p2).

Frogs 1 - Double Yarn Overs nil.

Re-match today, in my front room, on the sofa. My money is on the Double Yarn Overs! Hrmph!

No comments: