Thursday 27 November 2008

Noro Shawl, my car and parking!

I've been busy over the last week or two knitting cloths for swap. I've enjoyed doing them and want to do more! Some of the cloths I will knit again for me. Before I do that - or anything else - I want to finish my Noro Shawl. The cable is the largest I've got so it does look a bit hunched together and difficult to see how wide it actually is. There is appoximately 250 stitches, give or take, so you can imagine that I cannot fly through a row as I would if doing a cloth! I would definitely do another one and then go onto other shawls. I have some wonderful laceweight yarn from Jamiesons and some Rowan Kid Silk in my stash for when I'm a little more adventurous! I got these yarns for my birthday this year so I want them to be special!


Now this rather mucky little red car with cow print chair covers - which I haven't knitted - is now soleley owned by me! As of last Saturday she was fully paid for, lock stock and barrel! It's taken four years and I've had her since she was 18 months old. She is a brilliant work horse, can fit no end of large and odd shaped things in her. She has safely taken me over 107,000 miles (I wouldn't like to think of how much I've spent on diesel doing that mileage!) So now we can ride into the sunset together! She is the third car I've owned and I think we shall be together for quite some time (all things being willing!)
I've promised her new tyres - she is in sore need of them and then she is going to have a full service - I've got to look after her if she is going to look after me!!
If you look at the picture and think it's odd that all the cars are pointing in the same direction, it's not a fluke thing, the street is one way. Parking is an absolute premium. I often (often as in everytime) get annoyed at people who need landing strips to park their cars on the street as lots of space between cars means less parking and there are idiots who have to have soooo much space either to park or to just have space around them. Not thinking that some poor sap can't park their car cos they've taken up unnecessary space.
It does make me smile wryly though, when I see people who are new to the street doing parallel parking! You can easily spot someone who has lived here for a while - they can park in the smallest of spaces! I must admit that I'm better parking on the left hand side than the right. On a good day, a very good day, when my spider senses are heightened - and I'm being very stubborn as in 'I will park in that blooming place' - I can get the car in such a small space that I have to walk sideways to get past the car and onto the path!! Only if it's on the left though........
Ha! And ater all that ranting, I've just looked back at the picture and there it looks like I'm parked on an aforementioned landing strip - I forgot to mention that during the day, when everyone is at work, there is lots of space to park.............. ;-)

4 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

I haven't done a parallel park since the day I passed my test. Thanks goodness I live in the country! So are you knitting new seat covers then?!

Luneray said...

congratulation on YOUR car. :)

I remember when I paid off my car and was so happy that I kept logging into my online bank account just to see the loan balance that wasn't there anymore.

Definitely get new tires. They'll improve your gas mileage. :)

CarpeDyem said...

Seat covers??!! aargh! I hve seen a pattern for them.... stop putting thougths of new projects in my head!!!!!

CarpeDyem said...

I'm waitng for the official letter to say the account is closed, althought hey have told me over the phone, it still doesn't seem quite real!

Tyres are next on the list after the mortgage.......