Saturday 13 September 2008

Clapper Board Socks and Extreme Needles

The Sock Bug is nibbling at me, and I'm very patiently allowing myself to 'get into' knitting socks. Buying and acquiring loads of sock yarn was the easy bit. The first pair I've named 'The Clapper Board Socks'. This is because I'm on at least the third attempt.

The first sock was completed, but fit HobbitKeeper apart from being abit tight over the arch of the foot. I'd made them for me. Ribbit.

The second take, I decided to do on DPN's. Nothing at all, no nothing at all to do with the fact that that very day I had recieved a set of Knit Picks Harmony DPN's for socks. Let me get that clear, ahem! So happily away I went, in the comapny of HobbitKeeper and a Knitty friend, Sally (who I went to the NEC with). One inch of 2x2 rib later, I realised that I hadn't concentrated when casting on and dividing that amount of stitches. 64 stitches over three needles, does not equate to 30 stitiches on two needles and 34 on the third. Ribbit. Growl.



So this is the third attempt. It's going well so far. I couldn't be diddled to do 6" of 2x2 rib, so only did 2" and went onto stocking stitch after that. I'm tentatively quite pleased so far. Oh and yes it is Noro Kureyon Sock Yarn. Well spotted. And yes the needles are Knit Picks Harmony DPN's. Did I mention that I got some??!!


Now then, these rather large beauties are my Extreme Needles, with a 400g ball of yarn. I put the afore mentioned socks in just so you can get an idea of the size!!




Wowsers, can't wait to have a go on them!

4 comments:

Luneray said...

Those are definitely extreme knitting needles! Frightening even.

CarpeDyem said...

I'm absolutely itching to use them. I've got the yarn, need to sort it into smaller manageable balls, hijack the sofa and half the front room and I'm away!!

Roobeedoo said...

I can't wait to see what comes off those huge needles! A giant string bag? Nice socks! I must get to my Kureyon yarn that a kind swapper sent me!

CarpeDyem said...

I'm hoping to do rugs and similar, but nothing is impossible! I've got a book of patterns........ oh and a stash of yarn......