Wednesday 28 May 2008

Questionnaire for UK Swap



Part 1 Crafting


- I mainly knit, I can only do basic crochet - granny squares
- I like to make bags, scarves, smaller items rather than cardi’s and jumpers. I also like doing things for the home including face/dish cloths. I also dye yarn. A lot.
- Favourite Project - dyeing, knitting and felting an object, usually a bag. I’ve recently got into doing face cloths - wonderful for instant gratification! - and bits and bobs for round the home.
- Favourite Band/type of yarn - Favourite Brand has to be Noro, type of yarn has to be 100% wool so I can dye and felt with it. I also like Rowan. I also like the posher yarns such as manos and those that come from South America. I like soft to touch yarns usually with strong colours.
Least Favourite - Acrylic, although it does have it’s place. Not so keen on the eyelash/fun fur type stuff. Unfortunately I’ve got what seems like tons of the damn stuff.
Any other crafts - Cross stitch, although the knitting has some what taken over in the last 18 months or so. Making excuses no to do loads of housework……
KIP - Am a ‘Stafford Knit Chic’, so knit in Druckers each Monday. I also knit in the car, particularly when I’m waiting for Hubby to finish work. Have also knitted in the pub, but had to put it down after a few hours as cider and knitting don’t mix after a while…… I usually knit something fairly simple and straightforward, so that I don’t have to concentrate too much and can natter at the same time, y’know how it is! I also go to ‘Knitterati’ once a month - highly recommended!

Portable Project - bag, scarf, mittens, bowl, face cloth, that sort of thing
Lusted after knitting gifts - Knit Picks Options straight needles - the multi-coloured ones, have got the circular ones. I’m hoping to get these for my birthday! I would like some books, but there is that many that I would like that I don’t keep a list as it wouldn’t be realistic! I would also like to go on a ‘Knitting Holiday’. I’m happy to knit, happier to knit with company, and if it’s in beautiful surroundings…. Happy for thoughtful knitty gifts. I think I lust after Noro for the colour and feel, and other similar yarns.



Part 2 - Favourites


Colour - Purple is a firm favourite. I like pink but not the neon - cerise - bright pinks. I like dark, strong reds, blues and greens. I also like fresh spring green, lime (as long as it’s not gaudy), sage greens etc. I am a real fan of rainbow yarn, I think with that you can use some colours that you wouldn’t normally dream and they can work well. Not a big fan of pastels. Don’t do neons. I don’t tend towards browns too much as a single colour, although mix it with greens…..
Scent/Smells - Lavender has to come in here somewhere, fresh lavender. I like most pleasant smells. I’ve not explored scents enough to say ‘oh I prefer musks or florals’ etc. I burn incense at home.
How do I pamper myself - luxury baths - bubble bath with a gorgeous scent. Occasionally a candle lit bath. For real pampering, I use products from Lush, usually with floating dried flowers. A fluffy towel on the radiator, a clean bed with cotton bedding and knowing I’ve got a lie-in the next morning!
Goodies - Ha! Has to be chocolate. Proper chocolate, not the plastic stuff. I feel happily treated with Thorntons or other similar. Biscuits are a treat. Most kind of biscuits. I’m veggie so I packet read as well when I buy stuff.
Tea or coffee? - Tea all the way. I’m a tea belly. I don’ drink coffee at all. I don’t like the taste of it, although strangely enough I do like the smell of freshly ground coffee. I like strong cuppa - English Breakfast. Earl grey during the day or when out. A bit of Ceylon now and then etc. Tetley’s (or is it TaTa?!) or PG on a daily basis!
Listen to / watch whilst knitting - day time is Radio 2. TV viewing of an evening is normally the comedies - Frasier, two & a half men, MASH, Family Guy, Open All Hours, Porridge, That 70’s show etc. I also like sci-fi and fantasy although the hubby doesn’t. Also like a good horror film, thrillers etc. Don’t really go in for Romcoms and Chick Flicks too much. Am picky about the crime stuff.



Part 3 - About Me


Specific yarn - I would have to be soft but resilient. Lots of colours or variations of one colour. A versatile yarn that you can do lots with, ie dye, felt, wash etc and could be made into a variety of things. - lots of uses.
Location - I live in Staffordshire.
Lived elsewhere - I was born in Cyprus, my Father was in the Army so we travelled a bit. I have also lived in Berlin. UK - Brought up in Chesterfield, although the folks are Cumbrian. Went to Boarding School in Matlock. Also lived in Sheffield and Wolverhampton. Came here 12 years ago, for work, and have stayed although want to move on from here, back up north to Cumbria.
Favourite UK Place - Crumbs, I like a lot of places and I’ve not explored all of the UK! Top of the list to Visit would be Castlerigg. I like to be out in the country, where there are lots of hills, water (including the sea!) and trees. I also like sitting in my garden. I also like moor lands. One of my life time ambitions is to see the Northern Lights.
Visit anywhere in the World - I would like to do a Global Walk About! Spend enough time in each place to get a feel for it. I would like to see Ayers Rock, the Grand Canyon (though you wouldn’t get me on that glass platform for love nor money!) Niagara Falls, The Hebrides and Shetland Isles, South America to see the Pyramids and the Andes and all the ancient places, North America - to say I’ve been there; Canada as it sounds good; Moscow for the architecture. I’d also like a shifty round the old eastern bloc countries and perhaps Russia and China cos they are stuffed with History etc.
Other hobbies - I cross stitch, as mentioned. I used to dress make but haven’t done that for a long time. Gardening. Cooking/baking. Knitting takes most of my free time to be honest.



Part Four - Theme




About my pic - Stonehenge, a place I always wanted to visit, got close quite a few times. The day I went was quite by chance - I'd gone to Bristol to do an Assessment and had finished early, so to the opportunity to explore round there and decided to go to Stonehenge. I got there half an hour before it closed and only had my mobile to take pictures. If I had to 'tag' my theme and picture - nature, history, adventure, impulsivity, all things connected to stonehenge and similar places, photography.

Part Five
Allergies - I don’t particularly have any major allergies. I have pets - two dogs, three birds and five chickens and a husband who smokes. I also burn incense

No comments: