Friday 13 July 2012

Microwave Lemon Curd

I managed to get a bit of kitchen time mid afternoon.  I made some Lemon Curd (I think some call it lemon cheese).  The recipe I used was microwave one.  It goes something like this:
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 250ml fresh lemon juice
  • 3 lemons, zested
  • 100g unsalted butter, melted
In a microwave bowl, mis together the sugar and eggs until smooth
001

Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest and butter
002

It may look like this somewhere along the line.  Cook in the microwave at one minute intervals until it is a thick enough consistency to coat the back of a metal spoon
003

Pour into sterilised jars and allow to cool.  These should last up to three weeks in the fridge.
004

I made a slight boo-boo with mine.  I thought I could get 250ml of lemon juice out of three lemons.  I couldn't.  I only got about 150ml.  I topped it up with water, thinking that the liquid element would be important.  I then wondered after if it might have been the natural pectin in the lemon juice (presuming there is pectin in lemon juice!)  My lemon curd hasn't set or got thicker very much.  I shall use it though.  It does taste very good, and am sure it will serve purpose in cakes etc.  And if it isn't too thin, I shall try it on my toast.

No comments: